Friday, January 1, 2010

Day One


I stepped outside to find something in the snow flurrying freezing day. I walked around and stood at a small, now dead and frozen, garden. I stepped one foot in and looked around. I spotted one branch with berries on it way down near the ground nearly covered in the tall, dead weeds. I fiddled with the branch to bring it up off the ground then stepped back for a moment. Suddenly I hear a loud noise and a big furry creature dashed out infront of me and across the backyard. I jumped back, startled, and said outloud "holy sh*t!" as I quickly realized a rabbit had been hiding a few inches from my foot. The rabbit sat inches away, still and stealthy, undetected by me for quite a while!
With my heart pounding and my fingers freezing I snapped my first 30 day challenge photo.

20 comments:

  1. What a great story with this wonderful photo. Which proves that as long as you find [coloured] objects or shapes that stand out in the snow you'll make a great january series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a memorable way to start the challenge. Who That rabbit might come back and you can shoot a pic of it one of these days :)

    Those berries look so red and juicy against the white background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bright colour against the white. Did you get a picture of the rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color against the white of the snow but find myself wishing you had gotten a little closer to get rid of some of the distracting branches. Great start, wear warm clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those berries really do stand out against the muted colours behind. Nice composition too. This is a great start to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know those, they also grow here somewhere.
    I still wonder why they are even if the temeratures drop below 0°C.
    Nice find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool berries DD, I like the shallow DoF in the shot and the subtle browns in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are indeed pretty. There is a tone of sadness coming through with their limpness and the dried up grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice contrast to see a bit of life in with all the dead leaves and snow. I liked your story too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it looks crips and fresh. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool story! Love the bright colour and clarity of the berries against the pale and muted palette of the background. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story, nice find and beautiful colors despite the cold and snowy day. Great start - I look forward to following your Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was probably the bun's supper until you took it for art! I love the red and white - just shouts winter at me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great colors that pop well against the snow and great start to the challenge. :-)

    chezeury.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors, what a great find in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to find a bit of color in the dreary winter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bright red against the cool background. A great story and a good start to your month of shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christmas colours in the garden!
    Great story to go with it, keep warm.

    ReplyDelete