Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day Two




This morning stepping outside it was a lung freezing 10F (-12C). It's not supposed to get any warmer today. It's one of those days where you think "is it spring yet?!" It's definetly warmer than it will be at some point this winter though, as winter has just begun. Snow has suprisingly held off here in Michigan until the past week, as warmer southern states who never get snow have been dumped on! It may have flurried, but it melted right away.

Yesterday afternoon/evening though the sun came out for a visit and warmed us up a teenytiny bit. Just warm enough to let the snow melt some more. This morning the ground isn't snow covered so much anymore. Stepping on the crunching ground I see little flecks of green and gold. The dead cold grass mixed in with the still alive but dying green grass is peeking out of the white snow. Almost as if it were screaming at me saying either 'look at me look at me I'm still alive!' or 'goodbye for the next 5 months!' Just another reminder that winter lasts far too long in my backyard. Generally October - May is super cold and snowy.

I miss you soft green grass. See you in the spring.

17 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh cold stuff, makes me want to go roll in it...LOL I love this image, it's stark and cold and the tiny spikes are peeking though having a last look at you too.
    Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely use of a very minimalist composition in order to make the simple statement about the struggle the grasses are having. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photograph! Much simpler composition and a more powerful image. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colors in that grass. I love the minimalist composition of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blades of grass look like spikes. Cool image, I like the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful piece of photography. I'm, very taken with minimilistic photos and this no exception. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very striking photo. I too love the minimalistic feel in it.

    Around here we cherish the snow as mostly it only lasts a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, this is simply gorgeous.. .very minimalist and beautiful use of negative space. Love it!

    chezeury.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice - minimal and captivating. Those above have said it all.
    That is a long winter, I admire your fortitude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is a terrific photo! Excellent composition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The struggle for life continues....very poignant

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very minimalist composition! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, great find. They're like defiant blades of grass. This photo really says a message.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! Neato. I loved this photo when I saw it and the more I look at it the better I like it. I'm not sure it's worth living in the cold for so many months though! It's less than 30 degrees here for the week and I'm completely miserable! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great catch - I'm looking forward to your album! We have another arctic front heading our way in a day or two, and we have seen our grass either in almost two months!
    -mmc9496

    ReplyDelete