Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day Seventeen


This past week's temperatures have been above freezing. Especially the past two days near 40F (3C). With the sudden jump in temperature the snow melted very quickly. The fast melting snow caused the backyard to flood. Today is supposed to be 41F (5C) high. When I was out this morning, it sure wasn't that warm yet. It was still quite cold out. All the water of the melted snow was still frozen. I nearly fell on my butt a few times trying to walk across the yard.

I figured what better way to show why I nearly fell on my butt. So I decided today I'd capture the flooded, frozen ground. There was an area of fallen leaves underneath the ice, some of the leaves managed to stay atleast partially above the ice. I actually really like this photo. There is something about it that I love.

9 comments:

  1. I like this photo as well, the way it is all defined by color rather than line makes be think of an impressionist painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the leaf is standing upside down, and the colors are fantastic. I think I'm in a brown faze right now. I seem to be liking things that are brown or earth colors. Very nice Dd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's some lovely details in this. And it fits so well with all your other photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I see is a leaf bravely trying to escape from the ice! I am going to cheer him on. I like this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this is perhaps my favorite of yours.. the way the leaf just seems to melt into the ice (yes, that doesn't make sense, but that is how it feels to me) is just really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brave little leaf, trying to struggle out of the ice.
    You know, I still can't imagine the cold you guys have over there, but by these images I am getting an education.
    Love this one, it goes wll with your gallery which I adore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat capture - beautiful in its tonality and sharpness! I know what you mean, though, about slipping and sliding. I almost fell on my butt a few times, too, on my recent trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in this and the fact that the leaf is standing up so nice and tall in all that cold makes him look so brave. Very well spotted and a great shot! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice colours and tones, the upright leaf looks so brave. I am not sure about the piece of green grass as he looks so out of place but does add to the overall story.

    ReplyDelete